Sunday, December 10, 2006

Beauty E.R.

These answers to your top l0 most common beauty questions are as awesome as an episode of House but without all the drama.

Q: "Before I go to school my hair looks cute. But by the time I get there, it's frizzy! How can I make my hairstyle stay all day?"

--Nicole, 15, Northridge, CA

Blow-dry your hair before bed (sleeping on it tames the poofiness!). In the a.m., apply a dime-sized blob of smoothing serum (try Terax Gloss, $16, beauty.com) to your hair from roots to tips. Wear a silk scarf on your head until you get indoors, then remove it. Voilà--frizz-free hair!

Q: "About four hours after I put it on, my mascara makes dark shadows under my eyes. It looks like I've been punched. What can I do?"

--Rebecca, 18, Myrtle Beach, SC

Try coating just your top lashes with water-resistant mascara (try Maybelline New York Unstoppable Mascara, $7, a drugstores), then apply clear mascara to your lower lashes. Dust loose powder under your eyes to soak up oil.

Q: "How can I hide my freckles without wearing foundation?"

--Candice, 15, Hardyville, KY

One day we hope you'll learn to love your freckles! But in the meantime, tap a mixture of liquid concealer (try Bibo Concealer, $13, http://www.bibocosmetics.com/) and face moisturizer that contains SPF 15 (so your freckles won't darken in the sun) over the spots you want to tone down.

Q: "My cheeks are always red. Is there a way to cover the redness?"

--Rebecca, 15, Courtice, ON

Spread a tinted moisturizer all over, then blend a gold pink blush (try Flirt! I'm Whipped Blush Mousse in Girl Talk $12 kohls.com) over your cheeks. The pink color mutes the red and the light from the shimmer deflects it too.

Q: "What's the best way to shrink the pores on my nose and cover them up?"

--Valerie, 17, San Antonio, TX

Exfoliate three times a week to get the gunk: out (that's why your pores are large). Every morning, spread a pore-minimizing gel (try Almay Pore Minimizer, $7, at drugstores) over your nose before putting on makeup--it will tighten your pores so makeup won't sink into them.

Q: "What can I do get rid of my dark undereye circles once and fat all?"

--Abby 17, Southington, CT

If your circles are brownish, apply a cream or serum with hydroquinone (try Porcelana Skin Lightening Serum, $6, at drug store) twice daily to lighten the pigmentation. If the circles are bluish apply an eye cream with vitamin K (try Jason Vitamin K Plus Crème, $21, jason-natural.com). Vitamin K helps lighten bruises and other dark spots.

Q: I use a straightener every morning, but no matter what I do, I get short little hairs that Stickup around my face. Help!"

--Kim, 14 Spokane, WA

Your hair is breaking from exposure to high heat. Prevent further breakage by using a heat-protection spray (try VO5! Miracle Mist Heat Defense Conditioning Spray, $4, at drugstores) before you iron. In the meantime smooth broken hairs with a pea-sized amount of hair wax (try Aveda Self Control Hair Styling Stick, $17, aveda.com).

Q: "Every time I wash or brush my hair, it falls out! It's getting a lot thinner."

--Brenda, 14, Aurora, IL

It may seem like a lot, but it's normal to lose 100-200 hairs a day. To ease your mind, try washing with a sensitive shampoo for fine hair (try Nioxin Cleanser, $13, http://www.nioxin.com/). If you notice you're still losing a lot more than the normal amount after about six weeks, see your doctor.

Q: "How do I avoid getting sweat rings on my clothes?"

--Megan, 16, Pittsburgh, PA

Apply a heavy-duty antiperspirant (try Certain Dri Antiperspirant, $6, at drugstores) on dry skin before bed. In the morning, apply your regular antiperspirant. Then stick Garment Guard Disposable Underarm Shields (12 for $23, beauty.com) fabric patches to the pits of your shirts to prevent stains from developing on your clothes.

Q: "My nails peel. How do I make them stronger?"

--Stephanie, 15, Calgary, AB

Keep your cuticles and nails hydrated by massaging olive all into them. Coat them once a week with a strengthening polish (try Sally Hansen Get strong Multi-Vitamin Nail Strengthener, $7, at drugstores). And use an acetone-free polish remover (try Nailtiques Non-Acetone Remover With Aloe Vera, $6, at drugstore.com)--it won't dry your nails.

By Emily Kate Warren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home